Once in a while I come up with crazy ideas. That's fine. But then, rather than laughing at me, my loyal friends have my back. Since my mother passed away in 2007, I've been intent on doing annual charitable events in her memory. And my friends have been implausibly generous with their support. Such was the case with the year's Race Across the Window, which benefited the Challenged Athletes Foundation. This list is far from exhaustive, but here are some of the people I need to thank.
- Our team. Riders Nicole Sin Quee, Jon Miles, Terry Moore, Raul Martinez Jr., Jerry Speier, Scott Towle, Gary Berard, J. Geoff Badner and Hanna Jones were awesome. They're good athletes and better friends. They gave their time and energy to make this event happen. And Shane Neil - who just says "yes" and then asks what my latest crazy idea is - volunteered his time and spent the overnights sleeping for two hours at a time on an air mattress so that the riders could be prepared and I could go home at night. Together we rode 3,050 and burned over 87,000 calories in 7 days, 4 hours and 6 minutes of continuous riding. It goes without saying that I couldn't have done this without them, but I'll say it anyway. I'm grateful for their support, camaraderie and friendship.
- JackRabbit and staff. Lee Silverman and his staff couldn't have been better. JackRabbit provided us with space, resources, encouragement and anything else we asked for. Without .their generosity and support we couldn't have done this
- Our friends. Folks brought us food - thanks Roz, Sarah, Bridget, Bobby, Phil,Dan, Peter, etc. They rode with us - thanks Globo, YMC, Matt, etc. They set up webcam feeds so we could stay in touch 24/7 - thanks Paul. They chatted with us on the webcam feed. They donated money. In so many ways they encouraged us and supported our efforts.
- The CAF Athletes. If you're ever feeling a little tired and unmotivated, have a quick chat with Cody McCasland, Scout Bassett, Rudy Garcia-Tolson, Paul Martin, Willie Stewart, Roderick Sewell, Amy Dodson or Sarah Reinersten. Along with Ironman giants Dave Scott and Scott Tinley, the CAF athletes came down to show their appreciation for our event. Humility isn't always my strong suit, but it was truly humbling to meet them and to have them express their appreciation for our efforts.
- Our sponsors. Kuota, Win, Powerbar, Chomper Body, Craft, Zensah, David Niles LMT, and nuun all supplied us with products to help make our ride a little easier.
- The donors. We're still receiving donations and tallying what had come in. And of course we want more. (You can still donate at RATW.kintera.org). But we are all grateful for the donations - large and small - that will go to supporting CAF and their athletes.
In other words, thanks everyone.